Click photo to print
* 2-1/2 cups flaked sweetened coconut (about 7 ounces)
* 2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut*
* 1 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 egg whites (I will use the yolks to make lemon custard the next day)
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flaked and shredded coconut until evenly mixed. (Flaked coconut should be broken into separate flakes with only a few very small clumps.)
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Add egg whites, honey, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Pour sugar mixture over coconut mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to blend until evenly mixed. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Gently pinch mounds into shaggy pyramid shapes. Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
Place macaroons in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to two days or freeze for up to one month.
*Look for unsweetened finely shredded coconut in natural-foods stores or in the bulk-food section of your supermarket.
Print this post