I ♥ this stuff - I just ♥ it! However, when I want to make it I always find that I don't have all of the ingredients at hand and that would mean a trip to the grocery store when I really don't need to buy anything but one, little item, so I go without and put Tiramisu out of my mind.
What makes this recipe so special is that I generally have all of the ingredients at hand☺ Now, I'm not one to say that this is 'just like' the much more complex recipe that I whip together for special occasions but this sure is good in a pinch when the cold winds blow and I want to sit by a fire with a cup of coffee and a serving of Tiramisu.
1-1/3 cups milk
1-1/4 cups whipping cream
2 Tbsp. instant coffee crystals
6 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
8 cups torn French bread slices (about 12 slices)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 recipe Cream Cheese Topper (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl stir together milk, whipping cream, and coffee crystals until coffee is dissolved. Reserve 1 tablespoon milk mixture; set aside.
2. Stir eggs, the sugars, and vanilla into milk mixture. Stir in bread pieces until moistened. Evenly divide among eight ungreased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups, filling each almost full. Place on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
3. Bake 30 minutes or until puffed, set, and a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack (puddings will fall slightly as they cool).
4. In small bowl combine powdered sugar and reserved 1 tablespoon milk mixture; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding. Dollop with Cream Cheese Topper. Makes 8 servings.
5. Cream Cheese Topper: In a medium mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup whipping cream; 1 ounce cream cheese, softened; and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar on medium until soft peaks form. Makes about 1-1/2 cups. Print this post