- 1 pound bacon
- large bunch of romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- small container of grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble and set aside.
- In a large flat bowl, layer lettuce, onion, peas, eggs, tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers and any other fresh veggies you have available.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, sugar, sour cream and Parmesan cheese with a dash or two of black pepper. Drizzle/spread over salad and refrigerate until chilled, preferably over night. Top with the cheddar cheese and sprinkle with diced bacon.
I recommend a trifle bowl for a really pretty presentation, but any straight-sided glass container will do.
Layer evenly in any order that you think is pretty. What I have written in my recipe is only a suggestion. Also, I vary the fresh veggies depending on what I have in the house at the time but to make this really pretty, you need a lot of color and texture.