Friday, August 21, 2009

♥Everything But the Kitchen Sink Layered Salad♥

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound bacon
  • large bunch of romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped (about 6 cups)
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
  • 10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 6 hard boiled eggs
  • small container of grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 cup chopped cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup green or red pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble and set aside.
  2. In a large flat bowl, layer lettuce, onion, peas, eggs, tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers and any other fresh veggies you have available.
  3. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, sugar, sour cream and Parmesan cheese with a dash or two of black pepper. Drizzle/spread over salad and refrigerate until chilled, preferably over night. Top with the cheddar cheese and sprinkle with diced bacon.

I recommend a trifle bowl for a really pretty presentation, but any straight-sided glass container will do.

Layer evenly in any order that you think is pretty. What I have written in my recipe is only a suggestion. Also, I vary the fresh veggies depending on what I have in the house at the time but to make this really pretty, you need a lot of color and texture.

Print this post

3 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Jesus on a mountain, this is almost a religious experience, it looks so good!

Kim said...

I love this! This is one of those salads that everyone loves and raves about! Looks so pretty : ) I'd love to have some right now.

Kasha said...

Oh wow! I am loving your food blog as well. We do have a lot in common. I am bookmarking this blog as well. One can never have too many food blog friends. I can tell you are super talented on the computer. I am trying to learn html and php code and what not so that I can improve my blogs, but I also like to keep it simple. I wonder if I can bug you for tips sometime. Thank you!
Kasha