- 1 (5-pound) seedless watermelon
- 1 Vidalia onion (don't substitute)
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 ounces feta, or goat, cheese, crumbled
- 6 whole mint sprigs (chop two, reserve four for garnish)
- 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 4 cups of your favorite salad greens
Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding the seeds, and set aside. Peel and slice the onion into rings.
In a small bowl, combine the raspberry vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, greens and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed.
To serve, divide salad among individual plates and garnish with whole mint leaves and toasted almonds.