Sunday, July 19, 2009

Double Trouble Cheese 'n Tomato Bruschetta

This is GOOD, really GOOD! Living alone, I often look for something to fill my tummy that isn't a whole meal with lots of preparation (and clean-up). Summer or winter, I'll mix up a salad tossing in whatever I have on hand at the time and pop this (I divide ingredients for smaller portions) under the broiler. No meat, unless you've added some to your salad, but substantial enough to keep you from raiding the fridge before bed.
  • 6 Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil preferred
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, remove stems
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 French baguette
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  1. Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the Roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
  3. Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
  4. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Sprinkle a little of the Parmesan cheese on top and finish it off with the mozzarella cheese.
  5. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. YUM!
Print this post

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so YUMMY!!! I will have to makes this next weekend. I'm invited to a pot luck and I think this a GREAT!!! dish to take. THANKS!!! Geri

Kim said...

Look delicious!! You can never go wrong with bread and cheese : )

Laura said...

I will definitely be trying this once my maters in the backyard start to ripen. Another week or two, can't wait!