Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rhubarb 'n Raspberries, a winning pie combination

Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie recipes are fairly common and I do l♥ve strawberries. But, the Queen of Berries is the raspberry in my book. I l♥ve them. I l♥ve them plain. I l♥ve them fancy. I l♥ve them covered in cream. I l♥ve them wherever they want to plunk down their little, berry behinds.

This recipe is one that I've carried with me for years. Although I don't make it often because fresh raspberries are in season for such a short time where I live, I try to make it at least once a year. This is a pie for sharing with a good friend and a cup of tea or coffee. It's so good, you just can't keep it all for yourself!

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons uncooked quick-cooking tapioca
  • 4 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (about 24 ounces)
  • 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (about 6 stalks)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (this makes it easy 'n quick)
  • cooking spray
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Place tapioca in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Combine tapioca, raspberries, and next 5 ingredients (through 1/8 teaspoon salt) in a bowl; toss well. Let raspberry mixture stand 10 minutes; stir to combine.

3. Roll 1 (9-inch) dough portion into an 11-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, draping excess dough over edges. Spoon raspberry mixture and any remaining liquid into dough. Fold edges under; flute. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.

4. While pie bakes, place flour and remaining ingredients in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

5. Increase the oven temperature to 375°.

6. Sprinkle topping evenly over pie. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is thick and bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Print this post

2 comments:

Mary said...

I was looking for your Pink Saturday post and clicked on this and how happy I am...your recipes look sooo good. I want to make them all!
I'll be adding your blog to my favorites.
The 4 of July is usually when all my raspberry bushes are producing...I will be making this pie this year!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Manhunters could easily catch one with this recipe!